Friday 8 June 2007

First of many...........

I am sure this will be the first of many similar posts. I can't resist signs which make me smile, laugh out loud, cringe or wonder what on earth they mean. Some signs prompt all reactions! In Nepal I also used to collect newspaper headlines and cuttings with wonderful epxressions in them - one of my favourites was the headline "Vegetable farming yields fruit" How on earth did that happen?? Genetic modification? Miracle? ........?? I still have the little scrap book with these gems and will share them here from time to time.

Now moving to the present. We were in Bangalore recently and I was rather alarmed (and curious) to see this sign. in one of the streets...............













Luckily J was able to enlighten me - it means ear piercing done here, by an ear piercing machine!!





A very good sales tactic

2 comments:

McKay said...

I love it. There are so many signs I've seen in India and China where I wished I had my camera at the ready. So many things that don't translate well.

In Chennai I particularly like the traffic recommendations and the many words-to-live-by platitude slogans painted along walls telling people to work hard, pay their taxes, help others or be calm. Brilliant!

Rapata said...

Philippa, your blog brings back so many memories of our 4 years in Delhi. I too have a folder full of funny and interesting clippings and photos. One year I collected the daily newsreports of the appoaching monsoon, which made headline everyday. Keep 'em coming.
Pauline, Mongolia